Wednesday, June 2, 2010

As The Lights Go Out Around The World...



Those who know me are aware of something that often presents itself as an annoyance: I am a veracious reader. It's not uncommon for me to stumble around the house, or campus, or most anywhere with a book in hand. Come to think of it, that may be the cause of another annoyance people have with me, (that I wasn't aware of until my better half made me aware of it); I am a "know-it-all". Alas, that is a tail for another time.

Back to the books. I usually juggle two or three books at a time. That's not to say I'm a genius, far from it. It's only to illustrate how into reading I am. I like to understand things and I like to know what I'm talking about. Now, that might disqualify me from a job at the White House criticizing Arizona's new immigration law, but so be it.

It's rare that I read a book that so captures my attention that all other books, regardless of subject, are put by the wayside. Last year that book was Mark Levin's "Liberty and Tyranny." This year it was Mark Steyn's "America Alone: The End Of The World As We Know It."

I first became aware of Steyn's book after perusing the "Uncommon Knowledge" archives over at the National Review.
I was a little behind the curve on this, as Steyn's book had come out a few years before. None the less, I was so taken aback by the subject matter that I hit the local Borders. Sadly, Borders had sold out their copies. A little online ordering later and I was eagerly checking the mail like a kid waiting for his Lone Ranger secret decoder ring.

When it finally arrived, I was not disappointed. In short, Steyn's book is a close examination of a subject which, more than any other, drives our societies and influences our history: demographics. Lets look at a quick example of how demographics drives societies and how changes in demographics have serious effects on all of us:

Have you been wondering of late as to why the usually "moderate" Turks have been making worthless nuke processing deals with Iranistan? Or, why they are sending blockade-running boats full of well armed "peace activists" full steam ahead towards the inevitable shoot-out with Israeli commandos? Could it have something to do with the fact that for the last couple decades, the Islamo-fascists in Turkey have been rapidly out-breeding their more moderate, "westernized" brethren?


Steyn's book examines these changes and their effects, both current and future. If a major demographic shift in a single nation can have such a dramatic influence on geo-politics, (think Turkey and the current hate Israel fest) what happens when an entire continent, (or an entire civilization for that matter) sees its own demographics change in such a fundamental way?

Below I have links to the five part series that the National Reviews Uncommon Knowledge did with Steyn. He lays out the book as only Steyn can, with a mixture of sound insight and gallows humor. Check them out, they're well worth your time.

National Reviews Uncommon Knowledge interviews Mark Steyn on his book, "America Alone: The End Of The World As We Know It."

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Part Four

Part Five

3 comments:

  1. I'll have to check it out Philo, I love to read too.

    I don't know if you ever got into Biblical prophesy, but Turkey's change of view is very interesting.

    In Bible prophesy, Israel is scattered to the world and then brought back to inhabit the land of Israel. This happened in 1948.

    In Ezekiel 38 & 39 it talks of a coming war against the restored land of Israel. The modern equivalents of the nations mentioned that attack Israel are all currently very anti-Israel and Islamic. The missing piece was Turkey, they still seemed to be an ally. Well, that is rapidly declining now.

    Just thought that was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book is great. Funny and scary at the same time.

    I hate to admit it, but it's been a few years since I've read through either of my Bibles. But I think you're right.

    Turkey's 180 into islamo-fascism could have been averted. In Iran, the forces of freedom were snuffed out in short order by the islamo-fascists during the election protests. We stood by and did nothing. In Turkey, it's been a slow boil for years, and we've done nothing. Well, not nothing all together. We did make a big public to-do over a massacre from way, way back when. That's not to say genocides shouldn't be condemned. But it certainly served no purpose other than to strengthen the crazies over there, not only by directly smacking Turkey in the face, but by showing the moslems, once again, that we are divided and weak. Where else than the West would members of a nations own political ruling class try to sabotage the war efforts of their own country by pulling a stunt like that?

    Like Steyn says in his book, "People back the strong horse..."

    We are anything but anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Bro, that is what scares me about these police action, politically correct type wars. Militant Islamists still have a hold in Iraq and Afghanistan.

    My fear is that even if we pull out of Afghan and Iraq, we will be back in 10-20 years fighting a better equiped and better trained enemy, because we armed them and they allowed some radical to come to power.

    Regaurding Turkey and Iran, didn't we kinda do the same thing with Cuba? The Bay of Pigs Invasion, we got them all fired up and then backed out on them. We could have taken advantage of the recent riots in Iran, but nope...

    Now we give meaningless sanctions to everybody... Crazy...

    ReplyDelete